Berry Berry Easy presents Madam Goh’s Berry Delicious Recipe #6 – Cantonese Gau Gei and Seaweed.
With the growing concerns of cancer and other acquired illness as we grow older, food with great antioxidant properties has been all the rage lately. Cantonese gau gei has also been touted in the growing list of food that have antioxidant properties which purported has health benefits. Combine that with probably one of the secret of Japanese longetivity, seaweed, we have a recipe from Madam Goh’s which is both healthy and more importantly berry delicious.
Berry Delicious Recipe #5 – Cantonese Gau Gei and Seaweed Soup
*Nanyang Cantonese Gau Gei ( aka Kau Gei Choi / Jiu Ji Chai / Chinese Boxthorn / Chinese Teaplant (Lycium chinense) ) and Seaweed Soup
Serving: 3-5 people
A) Preparation for the Minced Chicken Ball
- 100 g chicken meat, minced
- Salt (small pinch)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tbsp oil (sunflower seed / olive)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 handful of dried anchovies (ikan bilis)
- 1 piece of seaweed (20 – 30 cm diameter)
- 200 g kau gei / gau gei / jiu ji / Chinese boxthorn / Lycium chinense
- 5 bowls of water (3 person = 3 bowls of water)
- Salt to taste (½ tsp)
A) Minced Chicken Ball
- Marinate minced chicken meat with all the seasoning in ingredient A for 5 minutes.
- Form into ball.
- Fry garlic till golden with oil and add dried anchovies (ikan bilis).
- Add water till boil.
- Add chicken ball.
- Add kau gei and seaweed.
- Add salt.
Tada! So there you go! Another one of berry delicious and healthy recipe from Berry Berry Easy.