In a recent development in the issue of accreditation of university programmes (May 2010), it was announced by the Higher Education Ministry that eight institutes of higher learning do not require to go through the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) to accredit their courses. This meant that the eight universities has the autonomy to accredit their current and future courses. Berry Berry Easy would like to highlight this to our readers so they are aware of this development. This will be useful for those who are doubtful on the accreditation status of newer courses from certain universities.
Self-accreditation Status for Universities in Malaysia – Those that achieved the status
- Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
* Note that the four mentioned universities are the top 4 as rated by Berry Berry Easy in an earlier post.
- University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
- Monash University Sunway Campus
- Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak
- Curtin University of Technology Sarawak
So what does this means?
- MQA conducted an audit on these universities (September 2009-March 2010) based on the Code of Practice in Institutional Audit to ensure quality at the universities based on fixed requirements and guidelines.
- Only universities which met the criteria are awarded this status.
- Four aspects in the accreditation system are:
- Temporary accreditation process
- Full accreditation process
- Accreditation review
- Having a senate or highest academic committee to finalise the accreditation
- So the aforementioned universities would have to develop their own internal system which mimic at least the four aspects.
- However, for courses that involved professional bodies, it must still go through accreditation and recognition by their respective professional bodies.
- MQA however will still monitor the accreditation process from time to time.
So for those applying to universities, especially private universities, you might want to check out the accreditation status of your courses.