Every year, the Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) scholarships (aka PSD Scholarships) becomes an issue of discontentment for students who failed to obtain the scholarships. As such, the calls for a policy review has been voiced for many years. The time has come and it was announced that a total review of policy in awarding the Public Service Department Scholarship will be conducted in 2012. Berry Berry Easy will briefly summarise the matter.
JPA Scholarship Policy Review in 2012
What: A total review of the JPA Scholarship system
When: In 2012
Effective Date: Unsure
- Reserving scholarship spots for top scorers at university-entry level
- Small bursaries for SPM-level students for pre-university courses
- The pre-university courses would include STPM, matriculation and A-levels
Other issues mooted:
- Due to O-level results being a poor indicator of A-level performance, it is not an excellent idea to award the scholarships to SPM level students.
- Key to the policy change is to award scholarships to students with very good results and a place at top universities.
- Process of awarding the scholarships must also be “fair and balanced” in order to make sure that all communities in Malaysia reap the benefit from it.
It is unclear if the changes made will be effective in 2012. Will update when we know the news.
What do you think of this? Is this policy change welcomed? Or is it long overdue? Berry Berry Easy would love to hear from you.