International students in Malaysia are among the significant contributors to Malaysia’s economy. Malaysia has been in recent years, a popular destination for pursuing tertiary education among international students. Read more about it here on Berry Berry Easy.
International Students in Malaysia 2011 – Top 11 in the World
What: International Student Population in Malaysia
Total International Students: Exceeded 90,000 international students
When: Until June 2011
World Ranking: 11th in the World
Total Percentage: 2% of international student population around the world
- Malaysia has achieved a world ranking of 11th in terms of total international student population around the world.
- This is achieved through the rising overseas student population in Malaysia which has risen above 90,000, or around 2% of total international student population in the world.
- Higher Education Ministry (MOHE) has set a target of 200,000 foreign students in Malaysia by the year 2020.
- The rise in the overseas student population in Malaysia is attributed to the higher education liberalisation policy which provides 100% foreign equity by 2015.
Malaysia’s strength in tertiary education includes:
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Health Services
- Islamic Finance and Business
- Advance Engineering
- Science and Innovation
What do you think of the rise of international student population in Malaysia? Should we reserve more spots for our local students before offering them to international students? Are the economic advantages more beneficial to the nation? Berry Berry Easy wants to hear your views.