UEC Holders Might be Admitted to Public Universities

by BerryBerryTeacher

in Berry Announcement

Can UEC certificate holders apply for public universities in Malaysia? This is the question often asked by students who are from chinese independent high schools in Malaysia. For those who were asking about the possibility, you might hear good news very soon. Read all about it here on Berry Berry Easy.

Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) Students to Study in Local Public Universities (Malaysia) ?


What: Eligibility of UEC graduates to apply for a place in public universities such as UM, USM, UPM, UKM, UTM and others.
When: Unknown, talks in progress.


  • A technical committee on the possibility of Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) students to study in Malaysian public universities has been set up by the government.
  • It is said that the government acknowledges UEC as a high-standard certificate. [Note: The UEC is taken to be equivalent to Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) in the national school system.]
  • It seemed that the Government will most likely approve this plan.
  • However the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) will need some time to assess the UEC syllabus as it is not the same as the syllabus used in the national curriculum.
  • At the moment, UEC students are eligible to apply for National Higher Education Fund Corporation loans, or better known as PTPTN loans. The Top 50 UEC students are also awarded scholarships every year. For UEC holders who are interested in teaching, they can apply for teacher training course as long as they score 4 credits in the UEC examinations.

Read about it here from the original source at : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/10/nation/9272295&sec=nation

For any UEC students reading this, what do you think of this move? Would you consider applying for local public universities in Malaysia? Berry Berry Easy would like to hear your views.

Previous post:

Next post: