Starting from the year 2013, SPM Sejarah will be made a compulsory-pass subject in order to get the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) certificate. The other subject being Bahasa Melayu and in the future, probably English Language too. So what is the new SPM Sejarah Format which will start in 2013? Berry Berry Easy summarises all you need to know, so for those who will be Form 4 and 5 in 2013, do take note.
New Format for SPM Sejarah 2013 Examination Paper
What: New Format for SPM Sejarah 2013 Examination Paper
When: SPM 2013-2017
What Happens After That: From SPM 2018, the syllabus will follow that of the Kurikulum Standard Sekolah Menengah (KSSM)
- New format will be used for SPM Sejarah in year 2013, in conjunction with its status as a must-pass subject.
- The new format is approved in the “Mesyuarat Jawatankuasa Kurikulum Pusat.
The SPM Sejarah subject will be tested with 3 papers involving:
- Paper 1 (1249/1) – Multiple-Choice Questions
- Paper 2 (1249/2) – Structure and Essay
- Paper 3 (1249/3) – ‘Tugasan’ (loosely translated as “Tasks”)
Paper 1 SPM Sejarah 2013 (1249/1)
- 40 objective questions with a weightage of 30%.
- Total marks here will be 40 marks.
- Paper duration is an hour.
Paper 2 SPM Sejarah 2013 (1249/2)
- The paper is divided into 2 sections.
- In Section A, there are 4 compulsory subjective structured questions worth 40 marks (with each questions beings 10 marks).
- In Section B, students are given 7 essay questions to choose from, from which students are required to answer 3 essay questions worth a total of 60 marks (with each question being 20 marks).
- Total marks are 100 marks.
- The weightage of this paper is 50%, which is also the highest among all the three papers.
- In this paper, students are given 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete the paper.
Paper 3 SPM Sejarah 2013 (1249/3)
- In this paper, students are given a “task”, where the general theme/title will be notified to students a month prior to the date of the Paper 3 SPM Sejarah.
- However, the actual detailed title of the task will only be announced on the exact examination day.
- This task bears a weightage of 20% with a total of 100 marks.
- Students are allowed 3 hours to complete this paper.
General for all 3 papers
- All papers covers the entire syllabus of Form 4 and Form 5 Sejarah/History.
- The difficulties are appropriate for students towards the end of their Form 5 studies.
[Disclaimer: All information are disseminated as is and based on interpretation of the authors. For the exact detail, do refer to the original "surat pekeliling" from MOE.]
So what do you think of this revamp of the SPM Sejarah/SPM History subject starting from 2013? Is it the way forward? Or is the format not as important as the content of the syllabus? Berry Berry Easy would like to hear your views.