The top Malaysian university, Universiti Malaya (UM) has successfully improved its world ranking in the QS World University Ranking for 2011/2012. In the latest ranking, UM has rose up the ranks to be included into the Top 200 universities in the world. Berry Berry Easy would like to congratulate UM for its success. Read all about the university ranking for Malaysian universities here on Berry Berry Easy.
Top Universities in Malaysia 2011/12
What: QS University Ranking 2011/2012 for Universities in Malaysia
When: For academic session of 2011/2012
Big Malaysian news: UM successfully reentered the Top 200 in the QS World University Ranking
About the QS World University Ranking
- The annual ranking is compiled Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd (QS).
- The ranking considers 2,919 universities, evaluates above 700 of them and produces the ranking for the Top 500 Universities in the World.
Among factors assessed are:
- Academic reputation (40%)
- Employer reputation (10%)
- Faculty-student ratio (20%)
- Citations per faculty (20%)
- Proportion of international students (5%)
- Proportion of international faculty (5%)
- Universiti Malaya (UM) emerged as the best university in Malaysia in the highly respected QS World University Ranking for the year 2011/2012.
- It is the only Malayisan tertiary education institute to be inducted into the Top 200 for the 2011/12 QS World University Ranking.
- UM achievements came after it improved its ranking by 40 spots from 207 in 2010 to 167 this year.
- Measures were taken to ensure that UM will be ranked in the Top 100 by 2015.
- The improvement for UM came in view of its improvement in the academics, employer scores and international aspects.
- The other major universities in Malaysia which made the list such as USM, UKM, UPM and UTM performed badly where their ranking slipped down the ranks.
- Meanwhile, two universities, IIUM and UiTM successfully entered the list this year.
Performance of Universities in Malaysia
|University||2011 Rank||2010 Rank||Movement|
|University Malaya (UM)||167||207||Rise 40 spots|
|Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)||279||263||Drop 16 spots|
|Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)||335||309||Drop 26 spots|
|Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)||358||319||Drop 39 spots|
|Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)||401-450||365||N/A|
|International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)||451-500||-||N/A|
|Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM)||601+||-||N/A|
The following tables shows the top universities of the World, Asia and South-East Asia.
Top 10 Universities in the World 2011/2012
|1||University of Cambridge||UK||100|
|3||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||USA||99.2|
|5||University of Oxford||UK||98.0|
|6||Imperial College London||UK||97.6|
|7||University College London (UCL)||UK||97.3|
|8||University of Chicago||USA||96.1|
|9||University of Pennsylvania||USA||95.7|
Top 10 Universities in Asia 2011/2012
|Asian Ranking||World Ranking||University||Country||Score|
|1||22||University of Hong Kong||Hong Kong||87.0|
|2||25||The University of Tokyo||Japan||85.9|
|3||28||National University of Singapore (NUS)||Singapore||84.1|
|5||37||The Chinese University of Hong Kong||Hong Kong||79.5|
|6||40||The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology||Hong Kong||79.1|
|7||42||Seoul National University||South Korea||78.7|
Top Universities in South-East Asia 2011/2012
|SEA Ranking||World Ranking||University||Country||Score|
|1||28||National University of Singapore (NUS)||Singapore||84.1|
|2||58||Nanyang Technological University (NTU)||Singapore||72.5|
|3||167||Universiti Malaya (UM)||Malaysia||50.9|
|5||217||University of Indonesia||Indonesia||45.1|
|7||279||Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)||Malaysia||39.2|
What do you think of the rankings of universities in Malaysia? Does the success of UM glossed over the failing of other universities? Are the overall rankings of Malaysian universities sliding down alarmingly? Berry Berry Easy would like to hear your views.