How to Study STPM Pengajian Am – by Ng Jo-Han
This post is written in response for STPM students in SMKDJ and Xin Venn. I thought it’ll be good to share it with all Berry Readers. From this Berry Berry Easy post, Berry Readers can get an idea on how to properly study for Pengajian Am.
1) General Idea
Regarding Pengajian Am (GP), the overall focus should be on Pengajian Am 2 because of the 62.5% weightage. Pengajian Am should be studied in cycles of 4 days. Here, I’ll call the four days as [D1], [D2], [D3] and [D4].
2) How to break down the days (study portions)
For PA1 [D1]
Please study Pengajian Am 1′s:
1. Konsep Kenegaraan
3. Perlembagaan Malaysia
4. Sistem Pentadbiran Malaysia
5. Sistem Perundangan Malaysia
6. Sistem Kehakiman Malaysia
For PA1 [D2]
Please study Pengajian Am 1′s:
7. Dasar Dalam Negara
8. Dasar Luar Negara
9. Isu Semasa
10. Penyelesaian Masalah
GP [D3] and GP [D4] are for PA2
Laras Sastera (25%)
Laras Sains (25%)
Ulasan Teks (20%)
Linear -> Bukan Linear (15%)
Bukan Linear -> Linear (15%)
3) Study Method for Pengajian Am 1 (GP1)
For PA1 [D1] and [D2], please find a balance between:
a) Doing questions
b) Reading questions with correct answer scheme
Due to the vastness and general knowledge nature of PA1 and the lack of time, I recommend that you at least read as many questions with correct answer scheme as possible, but still keep yourself sharp enough to answer exam questions by doing questions.
4) Study Method for Pengajian Am 2 (GP2)
- There is no perfect way which is effective for everybody.
- The reason is because your knowledge of BM is quite important.
- However, I proposed the following method. You are allowed to modify them but do tell me about your modification.
Explanation of Methodology for [D3]:
Study: Laras Sastera (25%) and Laras Sains (25%).
- Try to do as many questions as possible (slow do) and then rehighlight according to the skema.
- For science students, study Laras Sastera first, for Arts students, study Laras Sains first.
- Do NOT mix up the method for answering Laras Sains and Laras Sastera. Most students just use similar points to answer both. As Cikgu Manisah says “Pelajar gemar memasukkan idea Laras Sastera ke dalam karangan Laras Sains seperti Kempen, Penguatkuasaan Undang-undang dan sebagainya.”
- So, I want you all at the end of the day to make a list (please budget at least 1 hour for this most important task) of keyword/schema on a piece of paper which is divided into left side and right side. Left side writes all the sastera questions (summarised) and skema points, then right side writes all the science questions and skema points.
- Try to link keywords in the questions to the model answer, so you’ll know how to identify keywords in questions.
- Try to remember which should be sastera and which should be sains.
- Your level of BM is very important but we cannot do much at this point.
Before that, please read:
In short, what you need to do for [D3]:
- Read the links above. Focus on the teknik permarkahan.
- Do the questions using “slow do” method (60% focus on Laras Sastera)
- Make a list of keywords of questions and answer scheme.
- Try to understand the trend of how to identify the type of questions through the questions itself. By listing them out, you’ll see the trend.
Explanation of Methodology for [D4]:
Study: Ulasan Teks (20%), Linear -> Bukan Linear (15%), Bukan Linear -> Linear (15%)
Unfortunately, the above part is the part where your habits are already set, so it is very difficult to change. Students who already score high will continue to score high. Those who score low here, seldom improve much.
The proposed method:
- Just ‘slow do’ as many questions as possible.
- Focus on the techniques for Ulasan Teks based on what is taught by your teachers and tuition teachers. Science students are terrible at this.
- Science students typically can score higher in converting Linear -> bukan linear and bukan linear -> linear, but also not by much.
- Check out: berryberryeasy.com/2011/10/stpm-pengajian-am-2011-answering-techniques-bahagian-e/
- The best tips there is on how to identify “kata kunci dalam soalan”
For Bahagian E: Kata kunci dalam soalan:
(a) Jika dalam soalan ada perkataan: pola, analisa, aliran & perubahan maka skema jawapan: 3 pola antara tahun & 1 pola dalam tahun
(b) Jika dalam soalan ada perkataan: hubungkait, ulasan & tafsirkan maka skema jawapan: 4 Pola antara tahun sahaja.
- The second best tips is to include nilai tersirat (all top STPM student say that this helps to gain impression marks) by calculating the percentage changes.
5. Try to understand why the model answer is written that way.
In short, what you need to do for [D4]
- Read the link I sent to you. Focus on the techniques to identify questions.
- Do the questions (slow do).
- Analyse model answers (this should take up 30% of your time). Ask yourself why is this answer is good.
There are no tricks in Pengajian Am Paper 2. It’s not like science-based subjects where repetitive doing is extremely useful. It’s all about language and technique.
Berry Berry Easy wishes all STPM Pengajian Am candidates good luck. Please share this tips with your friends and return credits (with links) to Berry Berry Easy if you wish to share them in your blogs.