Education system and school types in Malaysia. Have any readers ever wondered about the various types of schools in Malaysia? Surely you’ll know your Sekolah Kebangsaans and Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaans, but do you know of the rest? Berry Berry Easy would like to shed some light on the various schools in the portfolio of the Malaysian School System or Education System. This is Part 1 in the series.
Types of Education in Malaysia (Part 1)
- Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi
- Sekolah Imtiaz Simbol Kecermelangan Akademik
- 10 Dipilih Rangkaian Sekolah Amanah Yayasan Amir
- Sekolah Amanah
- Sekolah Bestari
- KSSR Terap 1Malaysia
- Program Transisi Prasekolah Ke Tahun Satu
- Sekolah Pendidikan Khas
- Sekolah Wawasan
- Profesion Perguruan
- Pra Sekolah
- Sekolah Pendidikan Agama (SMKA)
- Kategori Institut Pendidikan Swasta
- Sekolah Pendidikan Vokasional
- Senarai Institut Pengajian Tinggi Awam (IPTA) Di Malaysia
- Maktab Rendah Sains MARA (MRSM)
In this part (Part 1), Berry Berry Easy will focus on Type 1-5 on the list.
1) Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi
They are the High Performance Schools (HPS) which are acknowledged to have ethos, character and own identity and unique in all aspect of education. The Ministry of Education hopes to use the HPS as markers to point towards excellence in education and also as example to other schools in Malaysia.
2) Sekolah Imtiaz Simbol Kecermelangan Akademik
It is the first elite school under the Terengganu state government which has the concept of fully residential schools to produce professional with Al-Quran as the core. From 2001 to the present day, 100% passing rates have been achieved in the Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR) dan Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examinations and came out as tops in state and national level. In addition to students mastering science, mathematics, ITand others, the memorisation of the al-Quran is also emphasised.
3) 10 Dipilih Rangkaian Sekolah Amanah Yayasan Amir
Deputy Prime Minister, Menteri Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced 10 schools from various socio-economic and performance as the Sekolah Amanah Yayasan AMIR network. It is under the Khazanah Nasional Berhad (Khazanah). Five schools were each selected from Johor and Sarawak. They are:
- Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Bandar Baru Uda (2)
- SK Kampung Layau, Kota Tinggi
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaa (Tamil) Kangkar Pulai
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) (Felda) Semenchu, Kota Tinggi
- SMK Gelang Patah
- Sekolah Menengah Sains Kuching
- SK Kg Empila
- SK Combine
- SK Tabuan
- SMK Bandar Kuching (2)
The ministry will allow autonomy to the administrator, teachers and private sector in aspect such as curriculum, finance, staff management and reporting flow. Khazanah will put in RM100 million for a 5-year period to execute the programme.
4) Sekolah Amanah
Trust Schools or Sekolah Amanah are semi-corporate schools where the corporate sector are allowed to be involved directly with either a primary or secondary school. It differs from a private school in that it is still a government school and is aided by the government while getting private sector sponsorship. Despite being sponsored by the private sector, the company will not have autonomy on administration of the school, the powers lies in the headmaster or principal.
Autonomy is given to the school to alter the curriculum, usage of funds and incentive to teachers based on performance and also selection of teachers and support staff.
5) Sekolah Bestari
- Infrastructure for various media including computers and the necessary software.
- Training of teachers.
- Course material
- BT Multimedia (Malaysia) sdn. Bhd
- Electronic Data Systems IT Services (Malaysia) Sdn.Bhd
- NIIT Malaysia Sdn Bhd
This marks the end of this part. Stay tuned to Berry Berry Easy for the next two parts.